Aside: Back from Israel and A New Small Program

Happy New Year!

Alright! Back from Taglit/Birthright a little more tan, a little more mensch-y. Here’s what I’ve been up to in the digital (though occasionally also spiritual) world:

  • Helped out with some documentation on the TensorFlow repo. Really enjoying the little bits of collaboration with the Google folks I’ve been able to have with that. I’d say that one thing that could be improved is a little bit more information about which components Google is actively working toward releasing. After taking notes on their white paper, there are several important features that exist in Google’s internal implementation that have yet to be open-sourced. I think making an explicit list of these features will help guide the open source community to work on new problems (and maybe just maybe stop asking about the same things over and over again. It’s coming guys! Google wants TensorFlow to succeed)
  • A pull request I made in October for the Node.js linear algebra package finally got merged! The maintainer hadn’t touched the project for over a year, but now it seems like there’s been more life. Sadly, my ambitions of creating a simple JavaScript feed-forward neural network executor have been set off course, as learning and using TensorFlow seems to be a better use of time (along with several other projects). Hopefully the new feature is useful to someone!
  • Continued to make some updates on the previously mentioned TensorFlow white paper notes

Additionally, I’ve got a little Python project that I hope will improve people’s lives! For the moment, it’s called:

AnchorHub

Check out the repo here. Basically, it should make intra- and inter-Markdown document anchor links more sensible to use in GitHub. Headers in Markdown files are automatically given anchor tags on GitHub, but they can get a little verbose and/or difficult to utilize. One might end up uploading a file, copying the anchor URL (using the chain icon next to the header), pasting that URL back into the document, and uploading a second time. A waste of time AND it clutters up the commit log. Here’s the basics of what AnchorHub does:

What you write:
# This is a header that I would like to make an id for {#head}
[This link points to that header!](#head)

What AnchorHub outputs:
# This is a header that I would like to make an id for
[This link points to that header!](#this-is-a-header-that-i-would-like-to-make-an-id-for)

It works automatically within an entire directory tree, so you can link across documents the same way you might use id tags in HTML. There’s still plenty of work to be done, but it is actually usable right now! Command-line arguments coming up next after fixing a last second bug. Then onto pip-packaging!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *